So, even though I am in a foreign country I am still surrounded by US personnel. There is a very large US presence here. However, I spent a few days recently on a detachment to another country. There was almost no US here. Most things were not translated, making it difficult to get around and to communicate with others. I really feel for foreigners now, who don't know the language and can't read the writing. The people working in the hotel were great helpers though, and it only took a day before I could at least say "thank you" and "hello" in the local language.

Here's a large, outdoor strip mall we found. There were numerous signs in english here. I think it was probably for brand recognition more than anything.

I had to take a picture of some of these signs. This restraunt has a crazy looking pig, and the next one down has another character, heck if I know what it was. If you like fish, eel, squid and whatever else comes from the ocean, and the entire body, head and all, you would love the local food.

Went to a local market and found this, among many other things. I've seen lobster and crab before, but squid was a new one. I should have taken pictures of the numerous other items I saw. They had buckets filled with flounders, eels, rock fish, sea cucumber looking things, you name it. Heck, we even saw dried rays.


So the last two pictures are from the plane, one is right after leaving the ground, and the other we are probably around 800 feet up after taking off. The land was beautiful. I wish I would have had more time there, I would have gone exploring the countryside.
2 comments:
Almost like going to LA :). Looks like some interesting areas over there. Good luck with the rest of your time as a deportee (Erin's accidental mix-up with deployee). :)
HAHA Laugh at the dumb girl. I told Stan not to write that, but he did. I was tired when I was talking, and I knew I said the wrong word when it came out and now Stan loves to tell everyone. So HAHAHA I will laugh with you.
Post a Comment