Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Happy Late Labor Day!

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend.  We had an interesting day yesterday.  Scott had to go into work in the morning and then was home just after noon.  We had received an email on Friday saying that our RUT cards were in and that we could come pick them up.  The RUT card is like a Chilean social security card, and without it we can't open a bank account, buy a vehicle that will fit all of us, or get into a permanent home.  Needless to say, we were super excited to be able to pick them up and get started with some of those things.  Since Scott was able to get out of work early we decided to make the two hour drive up to the embassy to pick those up.  When we got to the embassy it was a ghost town.  We couldn't figure out why no one was around.  While we were there, we did pick up our 2 pieces of mail.  There were a lot of local police outside the embassy and we asked why there were so many and were told that there was a demonstration that was about to happen.  We figured that was why the embassy was closed.  There were already people lining up along the streets, so we just headed back home and didn't bother to stick around.

The next part may be TMI, so just be warned.  When we got to the embassy, I needed to use the bathroom, but like I said, no one was around, so there were no open bathrooms.  I was driving and figured we could stop somewhere on the way back to use the bathroom. Lets just say that Santiago is really big, and Scott and I don't do well with Driver and Navigator.  Doesn't matter who is driving, it is not a great experience.   Anyways, we finally get out of town and onto the right road to get home.  There are also not many places to stop along the way home either.  I figured that I could make it home.  My stomach was cramping up the whole time, I couldn't even fart.  I have been constipated the last couple days, and I just really wanted to get home.  When Scott drives, he is a very courteous driver and usually follows all road laws. I on the other hand am a more aggressive driver and may or may not go faster than the posted speed, hence one of the reasons why I wanted to drive home.  We were making it home in record time when Scott tells me to take an exit that we hadn't taken before.  Thinking it was a short cut, I was all over that.  As we are driving the thought to be short cut, I notice that we are the only car on the road with several large trucks.  We keep driving and nothing is looking familiar, and there is not really a place to turn around.  Let me remind you that by this point I am in excruciating pain, and getting angrier by the second.  I just want to get home, Scott then points out that he can see our apartment complex, but it is still so far away.  At that point, (it must have been the death glare I gave him) he says out loud, I think I'll shut up now.  Still driving with all the trucks, we are coming down into the Valparaiso shipping port, I am able to take a right hand exit.  Good thing because if I would have kept going straight, I would have been on the loading docks with all the trucks.  I follow the shoreline and while doing that Scott (the sweet man that he really is) is pointing out all the beautiful places.  (his quite self didn't last very long)  We finally make it to the parking garage and I park.  I would have run to the elevators but I can barely walk the pain is so bad.  Did I mention that I live on the 22nd floor and the elevators are super slow when you are dying in pain.  We walk into the apartment, much to the kids surprise (they figured we would be gone for way longer) and Brody runs up to me with a huge smile and arms stretched out for a hug saying "is that my most amazing parents ever?"  In my not so nice mom voice, I tell him "do not touch me" as I rush (ok really limp bent over) to the bathroom where I stay for the next 20 minutes. 

My nice Mom self steps out of the bathroom, and we eat dinner then walk to the grocery store to get a few things.   After we get back, Scott is on the computer and it hits him what day it is.  He calls out, hey Jennifer, do you know what day it is.  Um, ya it's Labor Day.  It then hits me (I know, I am a little slow)  Hey it's Labor Day and the embassy is closed on U.S. holidays along with Chilean holidays.  We are so dumb!

What I learned yesterday.  Eat more fruit and vegetables!  Always call ahead to find out if the embassy is open. I am not a nice person when in extreme pain.  Enjoy the ride.  I do live in a beautiful place, and I have a great family, now I just need to learn to be a nicer mom and wife.  Good thing Scott is a very patient man, and puts up with mad Jennifer quite well.  Good thing kids are super forgiving.  Brody hugs are the best! (ok all hugs from my family are the best!)

I do hope your Labor Day was much more relaxing, and that you were able to enjoy being around your friends and family.  That's what life is all about.  Surrounding yourself with great people, and enjoying the ride.

Oh, guess what, I get to make the trip to the embassy again sometime soon.  Lucky me.  Now I just need to go eat me some produce. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazing Labor Day Adventure. Glad you made it home before things got worse! We love you guys!