Yesterday was a sad day for us. My "Chilean" son Jose, was set apart as a missionary, and left early this morning to serve in the Buenos Aires south mission. He isn't even related by blood, yet he seems so much a part of my family. I was trying so hard not to cry, but I did....a lot. I hate crying in front of people. I can't image what it is going to be like when my blood related kids leave. Not looking forward to it at all. It is a good thing he left, because him and Emmi were starting to get more friendly than Scott or I liked. If he wasn't going on a mission, I am sure they would have started dating. I am grateful for missions and all girl schools!!



Last week Scott and I were able to go with Jose to the Santiago temple. It was such a great experience to be there with him. I love going to the temple, and I hope to be able to go with all my children.
My kids are growing like weeds! I can't believe how tall Kaleb is. I swear he has grown 2 inches in the last 2 months. He keeps out growing all of his pants. Do you know how difficult it is to find pants to fit this boy?

This week Mia was Pinocchio in a play at school. She did a great job. She was really nervous, but she remembered all of her lines, dance moves and even was "directing" the others on stage when they would forget something. It was hilarious! This was the second play she was in this month. The other one was in Spanish and parents weren't invited. Scott and I were pretty sad that we didn't get to see her in that one. All well.

Brody was so excited a couple weeks ago that he made his first even goal in soccer here in Chile. He actually made 2 in the same game. These Chileans sure know how to play and Brody was really intimidated at first because he wasn't as good. He is making up for it now. Back in October, he was able to go on a 3 day class camping trip (in cabins) Brody had an OK time. There are some kids in his class that really annoy and try to bully him. He finally got tired of them picking on him and started pushing back. I will never understand boys, but apparently by shoving and sticking up for himself, they don't bother you anymore. Brody is a tough kid, and could take down any of the boys in his class. I guess he just needed to show them that he wouldn't take their crap anymore. Boys.....
Kaleb was invited to go to Santiago for a World Scholars Cup. He was one of 9 boys in his school that were invited to go. Because of his birthday, he was paired with the older boys. His team came in 5th out of all the participating groups that attended. I think the top 10 groups were invited to the next round which will take place sometime next year in Malaysia. He also came home with some individual medals. Kaleb wasn't really excited about going because he knew that he would have to participate in some debates, writing an essay, and taking a long test, but he had a really good time. He said it was so nice to be able to have a conversation with the older boys, and actually be listened to instead of teased because of his Spanish. How the classes work here, is you are with the same group of kids, in almost all of the same classes, your entire time at school. So the group of kids in his class have been with Kaleb since last year when he first started and didn't know any Spanish. Well now he is pretty fluent, but some of the boys still like to give him a hard time about it. Seriously, why do boys have to be so rude to each other. I will never understand I guess.
Scott has been busy flying all over Chile. I am bummed out that we won't be able to have Thanksgiving dinner as a family because he will be leaving Thursday night and won't be home until late Friday night. The good thing about his job here is that he can usually take time off when he really needs to, so I am not complaining at all.
Halloween was an experience here. Scott and I are both in the youth program and wanted to have the youth put on a Halloween carnival for the ward. Well we don't have a lot of active youth in our ward and it turned into the Daniels Halloween carnival. It turned out well, but I over did it and was out of commission for a week after. My back went out and I was in bed for 4 days and it took a good 7-10 before I felt like I could function again. I was grateful that Scott was able to be home and take care of the kids, and all of their activities. Sometimes I really hate my back!!

The boys school had their yearly carnival. Parents are volun-told to be there and help out. They have a lot of fun activities and it is a good time. The kids did some sumo wresting, jousting, bull riding, paddle boating, and eating lots of food! The sumo wresting was hilarious!



3 comments:
Love the update! I can't believe how much your kids are growing up....especially Emmi. She is such a beautiful young lady! Sounds like everyone is having some great experiences. Volun-told...That's hilarious!
I'm so jealous of all the kids' school trips, although I don't know how my boys would handle being away from home. Your kids are very well adjusted.
So fun to hear of all their activities
Post a Comment