I have had the opportunity to go on a few short trips with my crew since deploying. Three of those trips have been to Guam. I posted from my first trip, here's from my last two. One of the three was for a typhoon evacuation. One thing is for sure, while here it seems I spend a lot more time at work than I would prefer. I guess I would prefer not to work when I have such a beautiful ocean around me.
This Hotel was the Leo Palace. It was out in the middle of the island, and our directions to get there were terrible. It was kind of like..."If at the intersection there is a Mobile station on your left and a Shell station on your right you are on the correct road, keep going straight. At the second light turn left, then take the second left, down the road a ways the road will Y, take the right Y. You will know you are on the correct road because you will see a school on the left..."
After getting lost a few times we finally flagged down a guy and paid him to lead the way to the hotel. It was about 2:00 am when we finally got in.
Here was what the lobby area looked like the next morning.


Here's a view from my most recent hotel. A view from my room on the 5th floor.

Here's the hotel from the beach side.

Walked the beach and found this old gun mounted next to a cliff.

I was walking out in tidal area, about mid-calf deep water and came across some cool things. Here's the starfish.

I saw this shark. It was only about 18 inches long.

About a mile down the beach is this cliff, Two Lovers Point. It is named after a Romeo and Juliet style story. Legend has it a Chamorran (Guam native) chief promised the hand of his daughter in marriage to a Spanish general. She, however, was in love with a brave Chamorran warrior. The two left together and were pursued by the Spanish army. At the top of the cliff, they tied their long hair together and as the army approached, hand in hand jumped from the top of the cliff to their death.
I thought the farthest outcropping of rock looked like an apes face, so I cropped it. What do you think?
You know the crazy thing about all this...even with all the places I get to travel and all the things I get to see I would rather give it all up to be home with my wife and kids.
1 comment:
Your pictures make me miss Guam. I miss it everyday.
Post a Comment