Monday, February 24, 2014

Ok, so I'm a little lazy....

I am sure you are surprised that I am actually updating our blog.  I am not even sure anyone even checks it anymore.

So much has happen since I last posted.

My grandmother passed away the end of November, so I made a quick trip back to the states.  It was great to see my family, I just wish it would've been under better circumstances.  When I got back to Chile, I was pretty depressed.  We were still in our temporary apartment, and I knew that we were going to spend Christmas there. I was really missing the U.S., all our family and friends, and I felt like I wasn't progressing on my Spanish skills.  Oh and my kids had finished up the school year here, and would not be back in school until March.  I was adding it up and they have only had 10 weeks of school since June of last year.  This Momma needs a break!  Only 7 more days until they are back in school...woohoo!  Although I am sure after the first few days I am going to be missing them like crazy! I digress, but needless to say December was a rough month for me.

Christmas in our temporary apartment was actually really good considering the circumstances.  We all were blessed to feel of our Saviors love.  Before I flew back to the states, Emmi and I made 24 envelopes and in each one placed an activity for each day.  We were able to have a fun thing to do each day, and serve others.  It was great.  We all decided that we want to do it again next year.

After Christmas, it was time for us to move.  We were so EXCITED!  We received the keys to our new apartment on the Friday after Christmas, so we cleaned it up,  painted a couple of rooms, and installed light fixtures.  Here in Chile, you always put in your own light fixtures.  When we got into the new place there were live wires hanging from the ceiling.  The owner was nice and didn't take all of the fixtures, so Scott only put in 4.  That Saturday and Sunday the movers came with all of our things.  We thought is was weird that they worked on the weekend, but at least we were able to get all of our stuff in before New Years. 

New Years Eve was good, most of the boxes were unpacked, and our place was looking like a home. We invited the senior missionaries over, we played games, ate too much and enjoyed the firework display from our balcony.  I must admit, I was exhausted after moving, painting, cleaning, unpacking, cooking, cleaning some more, that I fell asleep on the couch during one of the games and had to be woken up for the fireworks. 

The new year brought in Spanish Tutors.  We had 2 come each day for 1 1/2 hours for 5 weeks.  I only broke down once or twice.  Spanish is hard! The kids did really well though, and I feel like it was worth it.  I still don't speak it very well, but my understanding is way better.  We had the sister missionaries over yesterday and they even commented on how much I have improved. 

February was our family vacation month.  Scott was able to take a whole month off of work.  I don't think he has ever taken that much time.  At first I was thinking I was going to go nuts with them all home, but it ended up being great.  The first two weeks we stayed home and explored a little bit around this area.  Emmi went to EFY the second week and had a really good time, it was held in a town about an hour east of us.  I was never more thankful that she didn't have a Facebook than now.  She said that a lot of boys kept asking if she had one and was grateful that she didn't.  I have told her on several occasions that if she wanted to have one she could, but she is not interested in it at all.  One persistent young man asked for her email and he emailed her the next day.  Not looking forward to August when she turns 16, but I really don't' have anything to worry about yet, she still thinks boys are gross.  Thank goodness. 

The Monday after Emmi got home from EFY, we headed south and explored a lot of southern Chile.  We had a fabulous time and tried out new things and new food.  We decided that we don't really like going out to eat here, the food is very expensive, and I would say 9 out of 10 times it isn't very good. That said, we had 3 excellent meals over the two weeks and a lot of PB&J.  Brody found a new favorite cereal it is called Mono Balls (translation monkey balls, perfect for my little monkey), it was actually pretty good, all that chocolate and sugar, and washed down with a benadryl (For me at least)  Cereal is not very good here and really expensive so we don't eat it very often.

We saw 4 different waterfalls, went hiking, white water rafting, zip-lining, horseback riding, enjoyed some thermal pools, regular pools with a slide,  boat tour, and saw some really beautiful places.    We stayed in a couple different cabins, and the further south we got, the worse the beds were.  We were really happy to get home and have our beds back.  The kids fell in love with a lot of the stray dogs and wanted to bring them home, but to bad for us, our apartment complex doesn't allow pets. Bummer.  (not really)  On the drive home we asked the kids what their favorite part was and they said everything.   Scott and I both agreed, vacation success.  Although come to think of it, we haven't ever had a bad vacation.

Now on to the pictures, they are super large sorry.  I couldn't figure out how to make them smaller on our new computer.   Enjoy, until next time.  Hopefully it won't take me as long.


















4 comments:

Lorinda said...

Your vacation sounds so amazing! Glad you guys are doing so well and enjoying your time there! Love you.

Linda said...

I still check your blog. You are having some amazing experiences!

Daniels said...

So fun to hear about your adventures. Thanks for the update. Sure love and miss you all MomD

Mandy and Jarrett said...

I check all the time... you have a better excuse for not updating then me! Miss you guys and love living vicariously through you!