No, it was none of the above. As I rounded the car I stepped into a small river and became painfully aware that the sound was indeed coming from the room housing the water heater. I dash inside and tell Jennifer that we have a problem. I then return to the garage to find the shut-off valve for the water heater supply line. The shut-off is located on the line above the water. The water heater is already 7 feet tall (with it's stand) so now I have to get above it, reach around behind it and turn off the valve. All the while, water is shooting up, out of the water heater and cascading down around it. I can hear the burner (it's gas) boiling the water which happens to fall down the exhaust duct, adding some steam to the mix.
Finally I get the water supply turned off, without actually getting too wet. I then tell Jennifer I have to get in to work (I know, I'm the greatest husband in the world!). While I'm gone Jennifer researches hot water heaters on the internet so that once I return home we can make an informed purchase. Well, a few hundred dollars :-( later I can now say I have replaced my first gas water heater!
The good news: I didn't have to pay an installation fee; we have hot water again; the water heater was located in the garage, not the laundry room; other than the walls getting wet, the area mostly contained plastic bins, so everything is good!
2 comments:
Do you remember this happening at our house while we were on vacation? I think you and Christina were feeding my cats for me. Only ours was in the laundry room and the water had flowed down the hall and also a little into the living room.
Wow! Good thing you caught it! And way to go installing it! You two are great with home improvement projects!
Post a Comment