Monday, June 7, 2010

How do you teach common sense?

Today when I went out to take Myah for her run, I noticed the trash I had asked Emmi to take to the trash can was blow all over and had slugs crawling all over it. Can we say Gross! Yes the can was a little full, but it compresses really easy. Next, the boys are responsible for making their own lunch in the morning. I went to take a shower, and when I came down it was time for the boys to go to school. As they were getting ready to head out the door I ask do you have your lunch? Nope, Kaleb didn't make his. Really, this is not hard to do, he knows that every day if he wants lunch he needs to make it. As Kaleb was getting his lunchbox out of his backpack he hands me a bag that has his wet swimming clothes. They had been sitting there since Friday. What a wonderful start to a Monday.

So the question of the day is, How do you teach common sense to kids? I am really struggling with this. It seems everyday it is a new thing. Any suggestions would be great.

Since I last posted it has been pretty busy around here. All the kids ending up with the 24 hour stomach flu, that was really fun. I am so grateful for sister Missionaries who stop by and are willing to help me clean up after the kids, and to help me fold laundry.

My sister and her son came for the weekend. It was really nice to have them, I was really sad to see them go. I am sure she was ready to go. Our kids kept fighting because they were tired and grouchy. It wasn't all bad though. We were able to do some fun things.

Friday night was a Father son camp out and before Scott left he asked a Dad who was going if he would mind taking our boys. He was nice enough to agree, so he took the boys, the truck, and the pop up trailer I rented for them. I guess a lot of the Fathers were wishing they had a pop up trailer too. On the way home he told the boys that they were going to stop for lunch. Kaleb asked where they were going to stop, and he said McDonald's. Kaleb replied that McDonald's makes him puke. (It really does) So Justin asked where he would like to go. Kaleb said the Olive Garden. Justin said ok, only if you are paying. Kaleb then asks well how much is it? Well it was more than he had, so needless to say they had Wendys.

6 comments:

The Wilcken 7 said...

I wish we had sister missionaries, you lucky duck! I'm sorry the flu bug was at your house. Hope Tuesday is a better day!

Stan said...

When ever you find the answer to teaching your children common sense PLEASE fill me in. I am telling myself that common sense comes with age, but my husband is lacking some too, so I think I am in trouble. :)

Erin

Bruce Daniels said...

Teaching boys common sense:
Ummm..... carefully explain the idea to them.

Pray,Wait.
Pray, Wait.
in 20+ years and once they have their own kids they should get it.

As long as you have continued praying and waiting.

Stan said...

Slander and Lies, I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it :)

Jennifer said...

Oh Jennifer, I'm sorry about the puke! I know you hate it. THe common sense thing... I have a sister who is in college that still doesn't have any. You'd think she'd know not to give hitchhikers rides... honestly! It was an isolated incident, but it did happen and the hitch hiker was female, so maybe not that bad...? I'm also jealous ouf your sister missionaries. We use to have sisters and they would stop in when Mike was gone - it was such a blessing. We jsut switched to Elders though, so I'm a little sad. No feeding the missionaries for me for the rest of the year. I like Bruce's comment! Maybe my sister just needs to get married and have kids. lol! Will it work if I start praying for her now and if I'm only her sister?

Erika said...

Wait, so are your kids still in school? Don't worry about the wet clothes still in the backpack. We frequently find old milk cups in bags that are a week old. You'd think we would have figured it out by now. I guess we're still learning common sense. I call it learning to multi-task.