Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On the move again...

I have moved again. I had the opportunity to spend part of one day on a beautiful British island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Since then I am now "at an undisclosed location in South West Asia." That is what we are allowed to say according to our welcome brief.

I miss the tropics. I miss the mountains and the green grasses and trees. I miss the ocean too.

I look out here and see tan, as far as the eyes can see. The buildings are even light brown or tan. Everything seems to blend together. Even the sky has a brown hue due to the fine dust suspended in it. It is almost like a thin fog, only a fog of dirt. Everything has a thin film of dirt, even the computers at work. You can feel it on the keys while typing. Occasionally I see a small plant, a scraggly brush or grass. I saw a patch of cactus at one spot, along with palm trees...they had irrigation lines to them. Can you believe it, a cactus getting artificially watered?

I hope you enjoy the video clip of the Indian Ocean.

5 comments:

Loughmiller's said...

It sounds like you were describing my home. The difference is, you get to leave the desert in a few months, and I am stuck here for years. :)
We pray for you safety. Thank you for serving our country.

Erin

Stan said...

Other than the southeast asia thing I was thinking west texas. We don't have dirt suspended in the atmosphere. Maybe after another few thousand years when the sand breaks down into finer particles. :)

Stan said...

Also, the buildings here are white or gray. So see, Ridgecrest is totally different.

Scott and Jenn said...

Stan, thanks for the insight. I need to come visit so I can see these stark differences you talk of.

Stan said...

Huge differences. Also, here we have ...

I'll get back to you on that. Actually I don't know if you should visit. Last time I ended up in the hospital and came out with a nice scar. Not sure if I'm ready for that again. Besides, now that the appendix is gone, how many useless organs do I have left? (other than my tonsils)