Friday, June 1, 2012

How to become Superwoman!

So I thought it was funny that my sister-in-law thinks that I am secretly Super Woman, so this blog post is for those who are not and want to know how to become one.

First- You laugh a lot and always have a smile on your face.

Second-  You always make time to listen to your kids no matter how tired you are and you are always patient.

Third- You always have a home made breakfast and dinner on the table for those hungry children. 

Forth- You open your home to extra children, no matter how long they stay. (or an exchange student from Norway)

Fifth-  You are always aware of your friends needs  (and take them to get doughnuts on National doughnut Day)  and you do your best to take care of those needs.

Sixth- Your house is always clean, and your wonderful children always help out whenever you ask.

Seventh-  When your husband leaves for a 7 month deployment for his job, you put on a  happy face, and never cry.

Eighth- You always make time for personal and family scripture study and prayer.

Ninth- You make time to exercise 6 days a week.(and beat your husband in the million meter challenge)

Now let me tell you how it really is at my house, since I am in no way Super Woman.  Yesterday was a tough day for me.  I got up, got the kids out the door for school, went and  picked up a friend's car to get an oil change done.  (he is also gone on a deployment)  Things were going ok until after the oil change.  I wanted to drive the friends car for awhile to charge the battery before I took it back to sit for another few weeks.  As I drove down the island a little ways, I started to think back a couple weeks to when Scott was around and we took a motorcycle ride.  I started to tear up a little bit and then I lost it.  I was mad that his job took him away from me for so long.  I was mad that he was not here to go to soccer practices, pack meetings, soccer games, to mow the lawn, to help me clean up a flooding bathroom, that he wasn't here at night to talk too, or to play with my hair, to scratch my back, to help the kids with their math homework that I have no idea how to do.  I was mad that I only got to talk to him on the phone for just a few short minutes each day, and that I had so much more to tell him then my 15 minutes would allow.  (What can I say I am needy.)

The water works started then, and I could not get them to stop...all day.  I thought something was wrong with me. I could not for the life of me figure out why I could not stop the water flow coming from my eyes. I think I got dehydrated and I had a huge headache.   It was so bad that when Scott was able to give me a call, I couldn't even talk because I was so choked up, tears and snot were covering my face.  When I was finally able to tell him what was wrong, he laughed at me. Let me say that I love my husband with all my heart and when he laughed at me, I also laughed and blew snot all over myself. 

After the oil change that morning,  nothing else was accomplished in my home. I sat my sad self down on the couch and watched TV.   I ate cookies for lunch.  No housecleaning was done, no exercise was accomplished and I took the kids out to dinner.

I think we would all like to be Super Women but we are human.  It is ok to be mad, to have a bad day, to snot all over yourself, to have cookies for lunch, to watch TV all day, to not get anything done in your house, to take your kids out to dinner because you don't feel like doing a dang thing.  It is OK.  We have a loving Father in Heaven who knows what we are going through, he loves us.  He doesn't expect us to be super women, he just expects us to do the best that we can.  We can't expect more from ourselves than our Father in Heaven would expect.

So now that we all know that I am not superwoman, the list of things above are all things that I try to work on each day.  It is not easy, and they may not all get done everyday or even at all,  but I just try my best and it is good enough for me.

I really needed to write this post,  I feel so much better getting things off my chest.  I still miss Scott like crazy, it feels like a piece of me is missing. (heaven forbid he die before me, I would be a wreck) and I am still mad, but I know that I will make it through this trial in my life and come out stronger in the end.  I will just step down from my soapbox now.

8 comments:

Lorinda said...

Love this post! and you're awesome, snot and all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I laughed. I cried. We love you.

Daniels said...

Well I know you are not superwoman because you won't go on another back packing trip with me.

Scott and Jenn said...

I would go on another backpacking trip, just not with you! Hehe :) Thanks Rebecca and Lorinda!

Jalene said...

You may not be Super Woman, but you are an amazing woman! Now my eyes and nose are running. Love you!

Daniels said...

You are superwoman...even on your bad day you got the kids off to school and made sure they had dinner. Too bad you don't have a more sympathetic husband...one that doesn't laugh at you.

Marilyn said...

You're awesome Jenn! Thanks for the post. It was encouraging and just what I needed to read tonight. Hope you are all surviving!

Emily said...

Now I am crying and have snot all over my face (I am going to blame it on being pregnant though...)Such a great post.